Why Pilot Institute
Pass the Test the 1st Time - Guaranteed!
Free Instructor Endorsement
540+ Video Lessons
See Test-like Questions
Mobile and Offline Access
Study Groups & Support
Flashcard App Exclusive
We are the only school to offer a flashcard app for iPhone and Android users – and best of all it’s free for course subscribers.
There are more than 220 cards that will cement your knowledge in all test topics. You can also flag cards and come back to them and shuffle the order. This will help you study on the go whenever you have a minute.
44 Page Illustrated Study Guide
Our course comes with a 44 page study guide that you can use to remember the most important information prior to taking the written exam. By giving you access to multiple types of teaching methods, we are able to increase retention and student success.
From Our Students Here is what they are saying about this course
I got my Private Pilot certificate in 1995 and supplemented my ground school by watching a famous couple on VHS videos -- like many did back then. I must say, I enjoyed your course way better! No, seriously, your teaching method, explanations, course organization, and resources were exactly what I was looking for. Thank you! I will certainly refer others to your course!
Great course. Greg is very engaging with his delivery of course information and very complete. I've learned a lot in a short time to review the course.
Greg is amazing instructor! He tries his best to make sure you understand the concepts, explains in simple yet detailed way and really emphasises most important parts. Really glad I am learning this even though I am not sure whether I will actually apply for the license :) Would give this course more stars than 5 :)
Very good course for new pilots. Flow of the course was great, he covers everything from the basic with enough advanced hints to put all the pieces of flying together. Can't wait to start flying.
Let’s meet your instructor Taught by experts, focused on outcomes.
Join Over 30,000 Happy Pilots
$389 $274 (lifetime access)
FAQ Have questions? Get the answers below. You can also contact us.
No, you can start this course before even finding a flight school. There is an entire chapter in the course on how to choose a flight school so we recommend you watch this first. This information comes from insider experience running large flight schools across the country. You will be able to pick the best school in your area and learn how to save money. After a few lessons, you can sign up for a flight school if you haven't already.
In order to pass your FAA exam and become a Private Pilot, you need to receive both ground and flight training. Pilot Institute provides you with ground training, hence our title of ground school. This teaches you the theory that's required to pass thet FAA Private Pilot Written Exam. The second part of your exam will be done in the airplane so you need to receive instruction from a flight school. Find a local school that matches your budget and your expectations to get this training completed.
We offer lifetime access to our course - come back and refresh your memory anytime. It takes many students 6 months or longer to get their license. Unlike our one-time fee, a monthly subscription of $120 will cost you $800 or more by the time you finish training. Additionally, we have the industry's best guarantee. We will refund your course AND give you $150 if you fail the FAA Written Exam. This is in addition to our 30 day money-back guarantee. Finally, we offer more than double the content of many alternatives.
Yes. If you complete 100% of the course and can show proof that you can achieve an 80% grade on two timed practice exams, we will send you a free written endorsement in the mail that satisfies the aeronautical knowledge requirement of 14 CFR Part 61.35(a)(1), 61.103(d) and 61.105. You can only receive this endorsement from an FAA certified flight instructor who provided you with the proper training.
Absolutely. We have many students who train in Canada, the UK, Australia and many other parts of the world. Most of the topics in this course are "country-less". We do however recommend you find a supplement for airspace/charts and regulation that is specific to your country as those topics tend to vary.
No problem. Our instructors are happy to help you with questions and give you the answer you need in a timely fashion. We usually respond within a few hours and you can reach out via email, live chat, or phone.
No, this class satisfies the requirements of the FAA Part 61. If you are enrolled in a Part 141 training program, you will have to complete your school's program. This course is however a great way to supplement your Part 141 training since we cover the exact same topics but likely in way more details.
Absolutely. We can work with companies of any size. Please email us with your requirements.
Many of our students are able to deduct our course from their taxes. It depends on the reason you’re taking the course. So, consult your tax accountant.
Yes, high school and college students can email us to get an additional discount for the course. Additionally, veterans and active-duty military personnel can email us for a coupon code.
This course is designed to give you the necessary ground knowledge to pass the FAA Private Pilot Airplane (PAR) Knowledge Test in preparation for the Private Pilot license or certificate. We specifically designed this material to be comprehensive and not just an overview.
You won’t feel overwhelmed – you will walk into the test room with confidence. Many people who take this course haven’t taken an exam in 30 years or more.
You will be able to spot the trick questions on the test and answer them right. You don’t need any prior aviation experience to take this course.
This is the only resource that you will need to pass the test. Having everything in one structured place is efficient and it will take you less time to pass.
This is a self-paced course. Each video is roughly 3-5 minutes and you can easily pick up where you left off. You can also watch videos as many times as you’d like.
Many people try to pass the written exam with short-term memorization. Even if you pass doing this, it often creates big problems down the line with the checkride and oral exams. Your instructor could force you to get expensive residual training.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- ask tough questions to flight schools and avoid spending unnecessary money,
- know what it takes to become a private pilot, and what you can do with your license,
- understand how aircraft systems operate so you save time during your preflight inspection,
- learn how instruments in the cockpit work, and what information they provide you in flight,
- explain how airplanes fly and the effect of various aerodynamic forces,
- compute weight and balance problems and properly load the aircraft,
- calculate density altitude and understand its effect on performance,
- interpret the Federal Aviation Regulation and stay out of trouble,
- understand the factors that affect flight performance, including hypoxia and various illusions,
- assess and mitigate risk,
- identify and predict dangerous weather phenomena,
- read and understand aviation weather report such as METAR, TAF, and PIREPs.
- understand how airports are organized and how to decode airport data,
- communicate on the radio and understand what controllers and other pilots are saying,
- identify airspace on charts,
- read charts and extract useful information to safely conduct your flights,
- navigate the aircraft using on board instruments,
- master the use of flight computers,
- and more importantly, successfully plan a cross-country flight!
We keep videos clear and concise and this course is mobile and user-friendly.
I will go IN DETAIL about each of the knowledge areas and provide explanations to not only pass the test, but also become a proficient pilot. This will give you the confidence you need when you are in the cockpit. I divided the course into five logical sections.
(1) The first part covers an introduction to flight training (including tips on picking a flight school from a 15-year flight school executive), aircraft structure, aircraft systems, and flight instruments.
(2) The second part goes over Basic Aerodynamics, Aerodynamic Forces, Weight & Balance, and Performance & Limitations.
(3) The third part covers Regulation, Inspections & Documents, Aeromedical Factors, and Aeronautical Decision Making.
(4) The fourth part focuses Weather Theory, Weather Services, Airport Operations, and Radio Communications.
(5) The fifth and final part discusses Airspace, Charts, Navigation, Flight Computer & Cross-Country Planning.
Included in this course are links to the free FAA publications as well as over 800 practice questions and several practice exams.
This course follows the guidance of the Federal Aviation Regulation (FAR) under Part 61. You should definitely start flight training while taking this course but previous experience is NOT required to start.
Learning how to safely fly a plane at first looks like a foreign language. We’ve put together this resource to make becoming a pilot easier and share our love of flight.
The Easiest Way to Become a Private Pilot Our course makes becoming a Private Pilot easier. We cover everything you need to know starting with choosing a flight school all the way to planning your first cross-country flight.
- Designed for visual, auditory, and reading learners.
- Achieve your life-long dream of taking flight and becoming a pilot.
- Lifetime Access - Go at your own pace.
- Short, easy to understand videos. Be flying in no time.
- 30-Day 100% Money Back Guarantee.
$389 $274 (lifetime access)